Monday, March 15, 2010

Not Me Monday- Returns!



Its been a while since I've done a "Not Me Monday", heck, its been awhile since I've written much of anything. Really, there hasn't been much of a need to write a NMM. The Child has been fairly normal lately, besides the odd meltdown, and driving me crazy with 100 questions every minute (does that EVER end?!?!). But the other day included some moments that I just knew I would be writing about come Monday.

While rushing to get The Child strapped into his carseat (we of course are never late, never needing to rush), we were discussing the difference between Mommy's "angry" voice and "firm" voice, complete with examples. Mommy's "angry" voice sounds like this..... Mommy's "firm" voice sounds like this.... can you tell the difference? Just because I'm firm with you, doesn't mean I'm angry (It just means to get your little bottom over here!!). As we are in the middle of this slightly intense discussion, I did not go to tighten his carseat straps (the ones down his front) and my hand did not totally slip. This did not result in me completely punching The Child in the nose. This is what Mommy's angry voice sounds like.... complete with facial bruises. Nope, not me.

The very same day, after we came home from wherever we were (not Mcdonald's with a PlayPlace, I would never feed my child Mcdonald's), I was determined to have some quiet time. Yes, me. I needed quiet time. Which means, The Child would also be confined to his room. Quiet time is slowly dissipating from my house, which is so sad to me. On a good day, I can get about 20mins out of the kid. This specific day, I needed much longer. After not yelling a string of threats to get him to stay in his room, it was finally quiet. Slowly, I dozed off into dreamland, oh glorious nap time.
Only to be woken a few minutes later with, "Mom! I can't open the door! My hands are dirty!"
Awesome.
My first thought was that there is really nothing in his room that he could get into, so I had no idea what he was talking about. Reluctantly, I dragged myself out of my deep slumber, my beautiful nap, my glorious bed, to see what the deal was. Upon opening his door, I was not hit with the overpowering scent of "Vick's Vapor Rub".
"What did you do?" I did not ask very very firmly.
"I was just trying to put the medicine in the cup" he replied
And try to put the "medicine" in the cup he did. Of course, I would never be so irresponsible to leave a jar of "Vick's Vapor Rub" in my child's room. He did not have it smeared all over his shirt, pants, a few books, bed, door and walls. Its hard enough trying to get that stuff off your hands, let alone every other known surface to man. You think I would have given up on my chance at a nap by this point. Of course I am the kind of Mother that would understand my child's need for some interaction at this point. A good Mother would paint, dance, sing, or go for a walk with her child, having a lively discussion about their day so far. Maybe even practicing the alphabet for good measure. A good Mother would never put her child in front of the TV so she could complete her chance at a nap. I of course, am a good Mother, never using TV as a babysitter. Nope, not me!

1 comment:

{Kimber} said...

wow!! poor kid punched in the nose by his own mother!! {just kidding...it happens :)}