Wednesday, July 28, 2010

It's going to be OK, Mom.


Have you ever had a moment with your child where you stop, look at them, and think... "Who are you?! How did you become this little person? When did you get to be so wise?"

I was standing in my kitchen the other evening, slightly upset (ok, maybe a lot upset... I do have an abnormal amount of hormones coursing through my veins) at The Husband as he had last minute decided to hang out with a buddy. I was not coping well with the spontaneous change of plans. Normally... when I am functioning on a normal level of estrogen (damn pregnancy), something like this would not be an issue for me. Fundamentally, its so important for us as individuals to get out and be with other adults, in a normal social setting. It is good for the soul, and only benefits your relationship with your spouse and children.

But this night? This night it felt like the end of the world.

As I stood in my kitchen, trying to put myself back together, mopping myself up off the floor.. if you will.... my son... my 4yr old son, stood there and rationalized with me.

"Mom. Its going to be ok. Dad said he's just going over to his friend's house to have a quick beer and then he's coming right back." He said this so matter-of-factly.. hand gestures included.

I let out a big, child-like sigh and replied "But he won't be right back, he'll probably be there for awhile"

"But Daddy said.. he's just going to his friend's to have a quick beer and he'll be right back. Its going to be ok, Mom".

SERIOUSLY. Where did this kid come from?

We must have stood there for about 10 minutes, I acting like the 4yr old child, and him.. the adult. Calming me down and reasoning with me. Then he walked over and gave me a big leg hug and said, "You can't be mad at Dad, he's my best friend. The best person in the whole world."

There went MY pity party. How can you reason with that? I was completely unable to be upset any longer. Ok, maybe I was still a bit disappointed, but I realized that this moment was not about me anymore.

So with lots of loving words and some yummy dinner, The Child and I continued on with our evening. This next baby is going to absolutely spoiled with the best big brother anyone could ask for.

4 comments:

Mama4Real said...

That is the most precious thing I've heard!!!

{Kimber} said...

how sweet is that!? he is going to be a great big brother!

Mama4Real said...

I guess my comment didn't go through:

Sweetest thing I've ever heard!!! *MMMMM* FACE:)

Colette said...

So cute! He's already practicing his big brother comforting skills. Love it! <3